Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Wow, I live here...

Just something that struck me today as I walked back from class.  I looked at a church as I walked by and realized, "Hey, this church is older than the US!".  What really struck me was that the church was just another church, there was no plaque or sign designating it a historical site, no banner promising tours.  In the states history is so important, we cling to our oldest buildings because we don't have many; here they have history coming out their ears and it becomes commonplace.  Just walking down the street there are cobblestones that are older than the printing press everywhere and no one cares...unless you imply that they don't care (then they get very offended and blustery).  I find this ambivalence mixed with pride fascinating and I thought you might be interested to.

Every once in a while as I am walking down the street something like that happens and I think "I can't believe that I actually live here" I am not a person who takes risks but I did this, I moved 4000 miles away to a different country, I still have to pinch myself now and then, just to make sure this is real life.  I still can't believe I did this but I am really happy I did.

Missing everyone!
Love ya!

3 comments:

  1. Eliza, all you have to remember is that you live there in body and heart but
    you will always live back here in spirit...


    I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the lovely and insightful posts, eliza!
    so happy that you are having such great experiences :)
    -Theodora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Theodora! So glad you are enjoying the blog! Hope everything is well in Seattle!

    ReplyDelete