Monday, September 13, 2010

I've Been Busy (and This Place is Crazy!)

So, I am all moved in and (mostly) settled ( I will blog about my room soon, once I get a little more comfy).  And freshers week has started, and boy is it crazy...since everyone can drink most of the events are about drinking which is strange.  Another strange thing I have encountered was at a meeting for people living in my house, the house warden (or resident grown up) told us all about the noise policy and the policy for fire safely...and then he embarked on a discussion of stripper policy.
Yes the official policy for bringing strippers into the dorm (if you were curious, you are allowed to have strippers in the largest common room but you have to put up a sign that says "Private Party" and shut the door; also you have to remember to tell the warden, for security reasons).  The best part was the he introduced the stripper policy by asking if any boys had birthdays coming up because he knew that often for their friends birthdays boys "Like to have female guests who seem to find out air conditioning rather hot and feel the need to take off their clothes" (allow me to point out, briefly, that my warden is a professor of divinity, which I think makes the story even funnier).  Anyway, that got me thinking about the differences between here and home and one thing stands out; here the prevailing attitude seems to be 'do whatever you want just don't bother anyone else' while I think schools at home are more inclined towards trying to police everyones actions and dictate what people should do (this is all speculation of course since I have never gone to college in the US).

Tomorrow, my first meeting with the other psychology students!  And a visit to the gym!  And a literary tour of the city!
Love ya!

1 comment:

  1. Eliza,

    Isn't your birthday coming up next month? No restriction on a male stripper, is there?

    Mike

    ReplyDelete