Tuesday, August 24, 2010

London: Day 1

Hey!
So our first full day in London was very busy!  We went on a riverboat tour down the Thames which was fun (and the guide was very punny which was...interesting).   We then decided to check out the Tower of London since it was where our tour boat stopped (clearly a conspiracy of some sort).  The Tower was not that cool (Edinburgh castle is better, and I'm not just saying that because I live there).  The most interesting part about it is the fact that it isn't a tower!  It's more a sort of complex with lots of little castles and towers; it isn't even very tall, nothing was higher than two or three floors.
After the Tower (and a lunch of ben and jerry's, yum!) it started raining so we (logically) decided to walk the the Globe (which has no roof).  Normally this wouldn't be a big deal but being a clever girl I had accidentally left my umbrella in the hotel room and my raincoat in Edinburgh so I got soaked.  We got to the Globe to late to see a tour but we were able to get tickets to the afternoon's performance of The Merry Wives of Windsor which was lots of fun (I am going to be writing up full reviews of all the shows I have seen when I have a little more time).
We finished off our day with a trip to the London Eye which was cool but not particularly exciting ( I spent most of the time taking photos of the wheel, trying to figure out how it works).  When we finally got back to the hotel room (12 hours after we left it in the morning) mom's cousin Austin called and we all trooped out for drinks.
Tomorrow we are breakfasting with Aunt Ruthie then going to Camden Market and then headed out for dinner with Austen and his family (his kids are all near Georgia's age so that should be fun).
Love ya!

1 comment: