Sunday, November 7, 2010

Rain, rain, go away (and please take these essays I have to write with you)

I have been very busy lately (finally starting to feel like I am in school for real!)  and I have had my first real bout of homesickness...I miss knowing exactly what I had to do and having someone make me do it, but mostly I miss having good food on a regular basis (the cafeteria here is awful).

I am not sorry I moved here, it was the right decision, I needed the challenge, and I have no desire to go back to high school but now I understand why people wax nostalgic about their teenage years.

I have always been of the opinion that high school should not be the best time of your life in fact,  I may have said (in a sarcastic manner) "if I ever start referring to these as the best years of my life - remind me to kill myself"(a quote I borrowed from the seminal nineties flick about the seventies Dazed and Confused)  However, thought I do not under any circumstances wish to return to high school, I now understand why people feel that way.  High school is easy in a lot of ways (while of course being incredibly hard in others), you don't have to worry about things, your parents are always there for you and you can kind of shut down and go on autopilot (or at least I could).  Here is different, I have a whole host of concerns that I didn't have before and my autopilot is shot; however, I have come to the conclusion that this is a good thing, I needed to do this...but I do wish there was a little less rain to contend with...

I am very tired of rain...I wish that the weather was like this again

Again, thanks for bearing with me when I ramble
Love ya!

3 comments:

  1. Eliza, Many people never really leave high school (see Bush, George). Fact is, you were always more of a grown up anyway. Trust your instincts and I'm sure that we'll find out that you can do much more than you could have when you were on auto pilot. Anyway, I can still give you digital kicks in the butt... Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Eliza,

    When West Cornwall still had a country store, it was run by an old Yankee named Carl Yutzler. One day during a spell of weather just like yours, I said to him, "Think it'll ever stop raining, Carl?"

    "Always has," he said.

    Love,
    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Eliza,

    college is supposed to be a challenge, a time when you are making decisions and figuring out things on your own. Sometimes that all comes with rainy weather at the same time. Too much at once. As Carl Yutzler told Grandpa, Rain will end and you will figure it all out on your own.

    Love,
    Grqndma


    Looking forward to seein you soon.

    ReplyDelete