Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Almost Done!

Well, I only have one more exam until this year is done!  It has gone soooo fast!  I can't believe I am almost 1/4 of the way done with college, I mean, what!?  When did that happen?

Its been about 9 months since I started this blog and I have not posted very much and I am sorry for that but it has been a really great way for me to keep people in the loop (and sometimes to complain about things!)

I would just like to thank you all for your support through all this, especially mom, dad and Georgia, I could not wish for a better family and I love you guys so much.  But everyone who reads this, I couldn't have done it without you.  So thanks; !

But you didn't come here to hear me be mushy about how much I love you, you came to hear about my hilarious adventures in almost adulthood in the land of kilts and royals.  (Parenthetically, I think all the royal wedding stuff is hilarious, especially all the coverage in the states.  I was actually invited to an event in London this week but I was too scared of royal wedding tourists to go, apparently there is an international consortium of 20-something girls trying to seduce Harry after the wedding, which is funny and terrifying at the same time; either way, I don't really want to run into them.  Also, apropos of nothing, I want to steal Kate Middleton's hair, it is so shiny and nice!)

My funniest story while I was away actually happened on the Connecticut Limo on the way to JFK for my flight.  For those of you who are not familiar with the CT limo it is a service that drives from New Haven to various New York airports (also there are no limos, just smelly vans).

Anyway, I got on the limo to find three of my fellow passengers already deep in conversation about how they are all Canadian (though one of them was British, much to my confusion).  I eventually introduced myself and got to chatting with them and these are the facts about my fellow travellers.

There was a well respected classical violinist with a one eyed Chihuahua who was visiting her fiance in Cleveland who told us all about being in a classical quartet and how her fiance feels like he is marrying all four of them.

There was a 6' 7" English gentleman and his Canadian girlfriend (who was maybe 5" nothing)  who had both been neuroscientists until he had quit to become a massage therapist.  They were on their way to visit his family, who are apparently very stereotypically British and want them to get married, move to the UK and start having babies.  I found out that the girl was a coworker of a family friend of ours (academia is a small world).  When these folks found out that I studying psychology they pulled out their computers and started quizzing me on the functions of different parts on the brain and reading MRIs which was nice, if a little bizarre.

The Canadian scientist was explaining her work on taste and how people of different weights have different neurochemical reactions to food and scents when an older South American gentlemen turned around and mentioned casually that he and his mother both lacked a sense of smell which led to an interesting discussion on what that might be like which ended with my favorite quote from the day, "Well it might not be that bad, depending on how well your mother cooked"

Anyway, I hope this long post somewhat makes up for the fact that I haven't posted in ages.  I will be back in the states in a couple weeks and will be able to start my new job of teaching things to brain damaged mice and talking to heart attack patients...should be interesting.

See you all soon,
Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment